What are toxic VOCs?
Indoor VOCs or volatile organic compounds are hazardous gases found in residential and commercial environments. These gasses include benzene, formaldehyde, and toluene, which at elevated levels are classified as a health hazard.
What causes toxic VOCs?
VOCs are often the result of something called off gassing. Many items through your environment may be off gassing toxic gas into the air. The most common source of VOCs is building materials like plywood, particle board, paints, caulking agents and foam insulation, but VOCs can also be the result of chemical such as solvents and glues. VOCs can off gas from these materials ranging from 6 months to 20 years depending on the source.
What are the Health effects of toxic VOCs?
VOCs can cause serious health effects in both the short and long term. The risk of health effects from inhaling any chemical depends on how much is in the air, how long and how often a person breathes it in. Breathing in any level of VOCs for long or short periods of time may increase your risk of health problems. It is important to remember that VOCs refer to a group of chemicals. Each chemical has its own toxicity and potential for causing adverse health effects.
Common symptoms of exposure to HIGH levels of VOCs include:
- Eye, nose & throat irritation
- Asthma symptoms
- Liver & Kidney damage
- Central nervous system damage